Pets Around The Clock
Log in Register

Log in

0 item(s) - $0.00

Foods You Should Avoid Feeding Your Canine

With those big pleading eyes and that adorable face at the dinner table, it can be hard to resist giving your pet a taste of whatever it is you’re eating. While you may think you’re simply being generous and kind by sharing a tasty treat with your canine buddy, you can actually be causing them significant distress further down the track if you give them a food their bodies aren’t able to handle. Here are just some of the foods you should be avoiding when it comes to your pet’s diet.

Chocolate

Loved by us but deadly for our four legged friends. While it might be tempting to break off a little piece of this mouth-watering goodness and feed it to your pooch, it can actually do damage to your pet’s nervous system and heart thanks to the theobromine and theophylline.

Grapes and raisins

This is a great summer treat for us humans, but many pet owners are unaware that it can be dangerous for dogs. Grapes contain a toxin that when ingested can develop kidney and liver problems and could be fatal for your pup if the dose is high enough.

Milk

While this usually isn’t fatal in small does, it can cause your four legged friend some serious tummy upset and could lead to nasty cases of diarrhoea and gas. Why? Many dogs are lactose intolerant and struggle to digest dairy products. To see if this is the case for your dog, it is important to take note of what they are eating and logging down any symptoms you notice after they consume them.

Sugar

Sometimes dogs are more like us than we realise. Just as we should keep away from excessive sugar to avoid things like cavities, obesity and medical conditions like diabetes, the same can be said for your pup as well. Make sure you are checking the labels thoroughly to monitor the sugar consumption of your dog and minimise it as much as possible.

Salt

Just like how humans should limit their sugar consumption, they should also keep an eye on how much salt they are putting into their body. This is the same story for dogs. While a little bit probably won’t do any damage, large amounts can lead to a whole range of issues from high temperatures and tremors to vomiting, diarrhoea and dehydration.

This is of course by no means an exhaustive list, and there are probably many foods you don’t realise are harmful to your pet’s health. It’s important to do your research and if you are ever unsure it is better to avoid giving it to your pet to be safe.